9/11



Fifteen years ago was the most horrific day I'd ever experienced. I was twelve years old. I still remember that day as if it happened yesterday and as cliche as that may sound it's true. I will always remember that day and I will be telling my children about it one day. I was getting changed after gym class when I heard on the radio that a plane had flown into one of the World Trade Center buildings and it had fallen. I didn't know what they were because I'd never heard of them. I went to my next class which was band but the teacher did not start class with scales like she usually did. She had the radio on and we were all listening until there was an announcement over the PA system that told all teachers to turn off TVs and radios talking about the attacks. By then the second building had come down.

When I got home, the TV was already on the news channel. I never liked the news and didn't watch it. Normally I'd want to be watching one of my TV shows but that day I didn't care. I didn't want to watch cartoons or kid shows. I wanted to know what was going on. I wanted answers. I was terrified that we were next. That the rest of the country was next. It was the longest day I've ever experienced at that time. We watched the news all day and late into the night. I saw those buildings fall over and over again. I saw the smoke and dust and the terrified looks on people's faces over and over again. It was harrowing.

As the days passed we learned more and more about the events that took place on 9/11. I learned more about the World Trade Centers, the Pentagon, and terrorism. Subjects that I hadn't really heard before that day in September. It was a scary time and here we are fifteen years later. I can't believe it's been that long. Fifteen years just flew by with passing thoughts of that day. September 11th will never just be another day. It will always be a day that takes me back to when I first heard that the our country was under attack. It'll always take me back to that feeling of terror I felt watching those buildings fall over and over again. Fifteen years later and we're still dealing with terrorists attacks. But somehow I don't feel the terror I felt at twelve years old. Maybe that's because they have happened over and over again. That day will be forever etched into my memory. I will remember everyone who lost their lives that day and their families who are still dealing with the lost of their loved ones. I will never forget.


No comments