The Terrible Twenties...

I am so guilty of this. I have spent most of my twenties up until now worrying about not doing what I thought I should be doing. I thought I should have my life together by the time I was 25 years old. I thought I was a failure because I changed my mind about what I wanted to do. I decided that being a lawyer wasn't for me and I felt like my life was falling apart because I was 23 and didn't know what I wanted to do. But now I realize that I do not have to have it all together. I still don't have it together. I have no earthly clue what I want to do with the rest of my life besides write and help abused and neglected children. I can't figure out what it is I want to do because I still don't really know. I have a general idea. Your twenties are supposed to be be for you to figure out what you want in life. And that goes for every thing from what job you want to pursue to the romantic relationships you want to try. To how many children you think you want to have. I know I want to adopt from the foster care system, at least one or two children and maybe have a child or two of my own. I still have a few years to figure out what it is I want to do with my life and then some. Life is unpredictable and messy and frustrating. It does not come wrapped in a neat little bow or with written out instructions. You just have to take it one day at a time and figure out what it is that works for you.

2 comments

  1. I don't know how many times I have felt this way. Sometimes I wonder if its society that makes our generation feel like we just have to know/have everything together by our 20's...Great post Tae, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder about that too. I mean they tell us we don't know anything but expect us to know everything. We should know what we want to do and when we want to do it. But this quote helps me realize that I don't have to worry about that.

      Delete