One Year Ago Today...

Exactly a year ago today around 8:30am I was being wheeled into surgery for my ankle. They put that mask on me and asked me to count down and I remember only getting to 8. A year ago I had surgery and was looking at recovering from the surgery all summer. I was going in thinking my ankle would be fixed after this. I cannot believe it has been a year and how much can change in a year.

For most of May, I was laid up on the couch with a big splint encasing my ankle all the way up my calf for two weeks. Life wasn't as good as it could be because I'd just had surgery but also because I hadn't worked for a few months and my unemployment was going to end soon. With having surgery, I wouldn't be able to work and walk around and drive until the end of June or beginning of July at best. Then there was the process of actually finding a job. I was a little down being at home by myself all the time but I was hopeful that this surgery would work. It would be the fix I needed. After physical therapy and maybe in a year I'd be feeling better.

Well it's a year later, and I haven't made much progress. A month or so after finishing physical therapy I tripped over a shoe that sent my ankle back to where it was. Since then it's been a series of accidents that have made my ankle throb and hurt so much. At one point in the beginning of the month, my ankle was hurting so bad that if I didn't get off of it I wouldn't have been able to walk. I had to miss the finishing stages of the journal I was working on because of it. But despite the pain in my ankle this summer is looking so much better than the last one. I have a job (one I found a week after I started looking last July), my really good friend is having a baby girl in May, and my mom will probably come to visit me this summer. I will try to get another job or internship for the summer and I have a car to drive. I only have one more semester until I have my English degree.

Yes this summer is looking really good despite the setbacks I've had with my ankle. I cannot believe a year ago I was being wheeled back to have surgery. It is crazy how fast a year can go by.

No comments