Surgery was a Success!!!

I went to the hospital on Wednesday morning (4/30) and I wasn’t as nervous as I thought I’d be. I checked in and it didn’t take that long before I was taken back to my room. The nurse who took my blood pressure and inserted the IV was really nice and friendly. She made it easy to not be as nervous. After a while I was given some medicine to relax while they gave me a nerve block. The needle was huge but the block was worth it. My leg stayed numb for 24-hours. It took a while longer before they wheeled me back to surgery because we had to wait on the doctor to finish with his other surgery.

Around 8:45ish the nurses came and wheeled me to the operation room and put me onto the table. They had me breathe in and out this mask and the next thing I know I’m waking up coughing and struggling to breathe. Because I couldn’t talk I was using ASL to communicate. I signed 'Water' and was going to Fingerspell it before I realized that they didn’t understand. I was having trouble breathing and coughing because they used a breathing tube on me since they put me under general anesthesia. They rolled me into recovery and got my dad.
I learned that my tendons were just fine. They weren’t torn or anything. I did have an excess amount of scar tissue and inflammation and there was still some bone spurs or bone fragments from before. Instead of a cast I was put into a splint which I can remove at home in a week. I will be non-weight bearing for only 2 weeks now then start physical therapy. I won’t have to use my whole summer to recover now and I can get an internship and find a job.
I’m happy for that and happy that my ankle can be better after this surgery. I will do everything the doctor and physical therapist tell me to so that I can recover fully and live pain free.

No comments