NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)

NaNoWriMo began today. This is national, worldwide, event where you’re required to write at least 50,000 words in one month (the month of November) and this year I’ve decided to participate. I found out about it late last year so I decided to try to participate this year.
In September, I started the prep work by thinking of some ideas, nothing much came of that until I thought of the name ‘Mica’ but for a girl. From there a story was formed. I wanted my main character to be named Mica and I really liked the name and was ready to make a story out of that. Lately my stories have been centering on good, intellectual girls and I wanted to change that so I decided that Mica would be a delinquent of sorts. This would be the story of her finding her way. This isn’t the first time that a story was born out of me liking a name and probably won’t be the last.

I think this will be a good challenge to try to write 50,000 words in one month. The only way to do that is to turn off your self-editor and just write. You can’t edit what you’re writing when you’re writing it or you won’t get done. It usually takes me a few months to finish a manuscript so this will be an interesting challenge. I started today and I’m excited for this. I think it’s going to be easy to do, I mean not too hard since I like to write anyway. I just have to make sure I’m writing every day.

~Teralyn

No comments